• The ARRL NFL Hurricane Michael AAR Final 12-31-18 is now available thanks to Karl Martin KG4HBN.
• The May 2019 QST NFL Newsletter is now available thanks to editor Marty Brown WB2VYK.
• The NFARES NET ROSTER MAY 2019 is available thanks to Mac McArdle W4NFG.
• The Northern Florida STM Reports for APRIL 2019 are available at thanks to Tom Housworth KI0JO.
April Section Manager’s Message:
NFL Section Manager
Kevin Bess, KK4BFN
Greetings North Florida Hams!
Welcome to the GREATEST HOBBY IN THE WORLD!
Hard to believe we are in May! Another month and we will be in June and it will be the halfway point of the year! Then of course hurricane season starts. Could be a good idea to start checking your backup batteries, generators, go-kits, and supplies for the season!
As I am writing this, I just returned from participating in the Florida QSO Party. Me and four other members of the DB CERT Amateur Radio Team covered eight counties over two days. It’s a contest, but we do it for the fun and camaraderie of the event. On our way home, we were already making plans for next year! If you haven’t participated in the FQP before, you should try it. The goal is to get all 67 Florida counties, and there are multipliers for DX and other states. It really is a very fun event!
Turning to Emergency Management news… James Lea, WX4TV has been named as Volusia County’s EC. He comes to the section leadership under the recommendation of our SEC Karl Martin, KG4HBN. I’m looking forward to working with him in the future. Also, we have Alachua County’s own Gordon Gibby, KX4Z, has passed the EC-016 course! The EC-016 course is designed to train licensed Amateur Radio operators who will be in leadership and managerial roles organizing other volunteers to support public service activities and communications emergencies. I’m sure he will do well with this!
In other news, Dayton Hamvention is coming up quick! May 17th through the 19th. I am going to try to go this year, but I am not sure if I will be able to or not. I recommend that if you haven’t been there before, go at least once in your ham “career”. I’m glad I had the opportunity to go to the last Hamvention that was held at The Hara Arena, and the first year of Hamvention that was held at the Greene County Fairgrounds and Expo Center. (Though I still think Orlando HamCation is the best show!)
Here are a few upcoming shows that are happening in Florida. See the Activities page for a full list. If you would like to see your hamfest shown here, please send me a email!
- East Pasco Tailgate, Dade City – May 11 – http://eparsonline.org
- Dayton Hamvention – May 17-19 – https://hamvention.org/
- Okay, this isn’t in Florida, but it is a major show!
- Wormfest 2019, Pinellas Park – May 25 – http://w4orm.org/
- 23d Milton Hamfest – July 12-13 – http://milton.apreviewforyou.com/2019-flyer/
- K4KDI Summer Tailgate — July 20 – http://www.arrl.org/hamfests/k4kdi-summer-tailgate-1
- Fort Pierce Hamfest – August 10 – https://fparc.org/
- TARCFest – August 17 – https://hamclub.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/TARCFest-2019-Schedule.pdf
Well, that’s all I have for this report. I want to bid everyone a good day, and close by saying “Get involved, get active, get happy! Stay safe, get on the air (no matter the mode), and have fun!” Amateur radio is the greatest hobby, and I am proud to be a ham!
73, Kevin KK4BFN
NFL Section Manager
ARRL, The National Association for Amateur RadioTM
To submit information for the website, contact the webmaster at the email address below.