• The December 2018 QST NFL Newsletter is now available thanks to editor Marty Brown WB2VYK.
• The NFARES NET ROSTER DECEMBER 2018 is now available thanks to Mac McArdle W4NFG.
• The North Florida SEC DEC EC Jan 1 2018 is available thanks to Steve Szabo WB4OMM.
• The Northern Florida STM Reports are available at thanks to Tom Housworth KI0JO.
December Section Manager’s Message:
Greetings North Florida Hams! Welcome to the GREATEST HOBBY IN THE WORLD!
First off, I want to apologize for not having a Section Manager’s Message for last month. With trying to help manage the Amateur Radio side of Hurricane Michael, and then my college class I am taking… It got a little hectic!
Speaking of Michael, I want to extend a personal thanks to everyone who helped out with this event! From those who deployed to those who managed behind the scenes. This is what makes this hobby so unique; we can go from chasing DX to providing communications for our fellow citizens in need. Karl Martin, KG4HBN, did a marvelous job in his role as Section Emergency Coordinator, and an extra amount of thanks to Steve Szabo, WB4OMM, who helped us immensely with his prior experience and knowledge with emergency management. There are many others who helped out here, and they all deserve a round of applause.
In other news, Thanksgiving has just passed, Hanukkah starts in a few days (Dec 2 – 10) and Christmas is coming up too. So after you have let the turkey settle (and the leftovers and the leftovers of the leftovers!), it’s time to break the Menorahs, trees, lights, Dreidels, and the heavy winter gear appropriate for Florida!
As for making my rounds, I attended the November Orlando Amateur Radio Club’s meeting. They were doing a class on how to build 2M J-Pole antennas out of window/ladder line. I couldn’t stay for that, as I had to be at work early the next day. Upcoming visits will be with OARC’s Christmas dinner on the 1st of December, followed by my home club’s dinner on the 10th, and the NOFARS dinner on the 13th. I was also at the Melbourne Hamfest, and it was a nice show. They did have a couple of major vendors scheduled, but due to Michael closing down parts of I-10, they were not able to get through.
As always, I would like everyone to keep in mind the upcoming hamfests:
- Tampa Bay Hamfest – December 7-8, 2018 – http://fgcarc.org/ This is the West Central Florida section’s convention, so be sure to head over and say hi to the guys from WCF!
- Southwest Florida Hamfest – January 18-19, 2019 – http://swflhamfest.info/ This is the Southern Florida section’s convention. If you’re heading down south to avoid the brutal North Florida winter, this would be a great place to go!
- Orlando HamCation 2019 – February 8-10, 2019 – https://www.hamcation.com/ This is the big one for us in Florida, and is also the Southern Division Convention! I will be attending Saturday and Sunday, but I am pushing for all three days!
- Brooksville Hamfest – February 16, 2019 – http://www.hcara.org/ Looks like a nice little Hamfest if you want to get away for the day.
Well, that’s all I have for this report. I want to bid everyone a good day, and close by saying “Get involved, get active, get happy! Stay safe, get on the air (no matter the mode), and have fun!” Amateur radio is the greatest hobby, and I am proud to be a ham!
73, Kevin KK4BFN
NFL Section Manager
ARRL, The National Association for Amateur Radio™
To submit information for the website, contact the webmaster at the email address below.