• The QST NFL Newsletter May 2016 is now available thanks to editor Marty Brown WB2VYK.
• The NFARES NET ROSTER MAY 2016 is now available thanks to Mac McArdle W4NFG.
• The North Florida SEC DEC EC May 1 2016 is now available thanks to Strait Hollis KT4YA.
May Section Manager’s Message:
Good Day to You! I hope this message finds you enjoying the Greatest Hobby and Service in the World!
It has been a busy month……so here’s lotsa information!
I got to visit with the Orlando Amateur Radio Club, NAQCC-FL in Holly Hill, and Daytona Beach CERT groups this month – but missed the Jacksonville Free Flea due to the rain. Most of the month was spent on filling Section level appointments (see below, a bunch!), finishing the NFL Section Emergency Communications Plan, and “revising” our section organization. The NFL Comm Plan document is available online at our excellent web page run by that master of the Web, Bert Garcia N8NN. The Plan can be located here: NFL Section Comm Plan FINAL May 1, 2016.
This month’s edition of QST NFL is chock full of information! Take a look at this excellent “rag” that is produced by Marty Brown WB2VYK here: QST NFL May 2016.
Lots of new appointments this month! As we stand now, almost all of our EC positions are filled and all but one of the Section Leadership appointments are filled (still looking for a Section Bulletin Manager…any takers??). Please welcome the following folks to their new positions:
Assistant Section Managers:
- Dave Davis WA4WES; Jeff Capehart W4UFL; Neil Light KK4VHX; and Ray Crepeau K1HG.
Section Leadership Officials:
- Section State Government Liaison – Darrell Brock N4GOA
- Section Technical Specialist Coordinator – Frank Haas KB4T
- Section Public Information Coordinator – Scott Roberts KK4ECR
- Section Youth Coordinator – James Lea WX4TV
- Section Affiliated Club Coordinator – Steve Palmer KM4SDP
ARES County Emergency Coordinators:
- Sumter County – Ed Nance KI4ZIV
- Suwannee County – Joe Kelman KI4TRR
- Washington County – Mark Nallick WA4MN
These and all of the Section Officials can be located on this page: NFL Section Officials.
The Statewide Hurricane Exercise Amateur Radio ARES participation has been scheduled for Wednesday, May 18th. Some of the information provided by the State has been released and sent to the ARES leadership this past week – more information will be provided as it is received. The State has included Amateur Radio support in this year’s exercise, and a simple message sent to the State EOC via HF or SARNet is the challenge for every county group. In addition, the National Hurricane Center is asking for local weather reports via the SARNet system FOR A ONE HOUR WINDOW ONLY – this controlled net will be opened at 11:00 am local time (EDT) and close at 12:00 noon EDT. They will basically ask for stations to send Call Sign, Signal Report, Name, QTH and brief WX Report. For more on the NHC activity, see: www.wx4nhc.org.
This is the ONLY OFFICIAL SANCTIONED ARES EXERCISE DATE. DO NOT CONTACT THE STATE EOC REGARDING THIS EXERCISE! Contact your local EC and/or served agency for guidance!
My scheduled visits to Hamfests and “tailgates”, club and ARES meetings for May:
- Thursday, May 5th, Lake Monroe ARS
- Wednesday, May 18th thru Monday, May 23rd – Dayton Hamvention and FDIM in Dayton, OH. (I will be staffing the RadioSport Booth and checking QSL cards Friday and Saturday).
Next month is the 2016 ARRL Field Day event — the weekend of June 25-26 — start preparing! I have asked for a State Proclamation form the Governor, and will post/provide as soon as I receive it. More on Field Day here: http://www.arrl.org/field-day.
Get involved, get active, get happy! Stay safe, get on the air, and have fun!!
I hope to see you at a club meeting/activity soon!
As always, THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO. Without you, nothing else happens, and nothing else matters.
Steve Szabo WB4OMM
NFL Section Manager
ARRL, The National Association for Amateur Radio™
→ Previous Monthly Headlines:
• Read about HamCation 2016 (Updated for 2017)
Use the form below to submit your website input. If you have a long submission or photos, email them to the webmaster listed at the bottom of this page.